Summer Hill Tai Chi Club
Below are some select heath benefits of the individual movements of various Qi Gong Sets & Exercises we use. These are merely some of the potential benefits of each posture/movement and there are others. For Sets (groups of exercises), there is also a synergistic effect & benefit to performing the whole set. Of course depending on time etc one can pull only a few individual exercises from a set and perform them as your workout.
The number refers to the movement/exercise number
More will be added later
Generally Posture, can be thought of as movement, Posture 1 = Movement one, as in English Posture tends to have the impression of a single static posture.
Ba Duan Jin Qi Gong (八段錦)
"Heavenly Set of 8 Precious Exercises", "8 Pieces of Brocade", "8 Treasures"
Some health benefits of each Posture
- 1. Regulates all Internal Organs. Good for the stomach. Improves the blood circulation. Reduces stiff shoulders. Relaxes both the body, mind and spirit. Exercises arm muscles. This move is said to stimulate the Triple Energizer Meridian (Sanjiao). In Traditional Chinese Medicine the Sanjio Meridian is important for fluid transportation in the living body (including blood, oxygen and qi movement)
- 2. Beneficial for the heart, liver, and lungs. Strengthens the legs and hips/waist, strengthen kidneys and spleen. The contraction and expansion of the chest cavity and the muscles of the arms help to facilitate the intake of oxygen and the flow of the body fluids (blood, oxygen and qi) Increase energy
- 3. Beneficial for the Spleen and Stomach. Reduces stress. Can aid digestion and the absorption of nutrients by the body.
- 4. Stretches and Relaxes the neck muscles. Imporves Energy .
- 5. Reduces stress. Good for the heart & lungs. Strengthens the lower half of the body. Can help with impatience, insomnia, stress, flushed face, dry mouth, uneasiness or feeling disturbed.
- 6. Strengthen the Kidneys and Waist. Stretch legs. Can be beneficial for gastroptosis, gastroenteritis and weak constitutions. Strengthens the lower back. Beneficial for worry and anxiety.
- 7. Increase Energy. Can be beneficial for arthritis. Reduces stress. Improves concentration. Strengthens the lower half of the body. Increases general vitality and muscular strength.
- 8. Benefits the liver and lungs. Improves blood circulation and helps recovery from fatigue. Makes your body and spirit refreshed. Aids recovery from Sickness.
Shibashi Qi Gong (气功十八式)
"18 Qi Gong Exercises"
Some health benefits of each Posture
One imagines that they are standing at the edge of a beautiful Lake of tranquil water, with the sun shining warmly upon you, a nice gentle breeze in the air, and a gentle smile on your face.
- This imagery or visualisation, can have a beneficial calming and relaxing affect in itself. And is a good way to start to relax and release tenstion and stress, as you prepare to do the actual exercise. It's encouraed you try to imagine this setting or another nice relaxing setting, such as the beach or mountains.
- 1. Improves conditions related to the heart and liver and high blood pressure.
- 2. Improves conditions related to the heart, lungs and nervous system.
- 3. Relieves back pain and strengthens waist.
- 4. Relieves shoulder pain and boosts stamina.
- 5. Relieves shoulder, elbow and wrist pain and improves conditions related to the lungs.
- 6. Helps the digestive system and increases mental clarity.
- 7. Improves conditions related to the kidney and increases spiritual energy.
- 8. Helps digestion, improves conditions related to the stomach and spleen.
- 9. Helps digestion, improves conditions related to the stomach and spleen, strengthens waist and boosts stamina.
- 10. Helps digestion, improves conditions related to the nervous system and increases spiritual energy.
- 11. Improves conditions related to the kidney and stomach, relieves waist and leg pain.
- 12. Improves conditions related to spleen, liver and lungs and decreases the instances and severity of insomnia.
- 13. Improves conditions related to the heart, liver, lungs and nervous system.
- 14. Increases lung capacity and improves conditions related to the lungs, nervous system and decreases the instances and severity of insomnia.
- 15. Relieves anxiety and headaches.
- 16. Promotes blood circulation, boosts stamina, relieves waist and leg pain.
- 17. Improves body coordination, decreases the instances and severity of insomnia and fatigue.
- 18. Improves conditions related to the heart, stomach, high blood pressure and calms the mind.